I like this soup because it is quick and easy to make and doesn't take a lot of ingredients.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan
- Add some onions to the pan with 1-2 teaspoons of cumin and 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic. Cook until the onions become golden.
- Add one fresh chopped chilli if desired to give it a bit of a kick, I wouldn't use a very strong chilli.
- Add one chopped leek (optional).
- Add 700g chopped fresh tomatoes and let them cook for a bit until they become mushy. Alternatively used 2 tins chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to season
- Add some Kale or Spinach, about a handful.
- Add 200g of red lentils
- Pour in vegetable stock
- Let it all simmer until the lentils are soft.
This will make quite a thick soup and you can eat it like this. If you want a more runny soup you can add some more stock (enough to cover what's in the pan). You can then blend the soup if you like, so that the consistency is smooth.
Spoon into bowls and serve with some chopped fresh coriander or parsley and a dollop of live natural yoghurt on the top.
Why this soup is great:
Tomatoes: Antioxidant, with vitamin C, good for the heart, circulation and prostate health.
Red Lentils: High soluble fibre, so good for digestion and constipation, also help to remove cholesterol from the gut.
Live Yoghurt: Contains probiotics - great for good bacteria in gut.
Kale: High in calcium, so good for bones. Rich in magnesium, which helps muscles relax, so great for muscle cramps or spasm.
Spinach: Good source of vitamin C, iron, protein and fat soluble antioxidant which helps protect collagen and elastin in skin.
Onion: High in quercetin which is a natural antihistamine.
Leek: High in prebiotic strengthens the stomach good bacteria, providing better defence.
Cumin: Good for indigestion.
Enjoy Harmony lunch time yoga classes have now moved. You can find us at:
82 Gordon Street
Opposite Central Station, next to RBS.
Drop in £6
Block booking £30 valid for 6 classes can be used for Wednesday and/or Friday classes, valid for 8 weeks.
I hope to see you at class.