A traditional Russian ferment.
- 2 raw beetroots
- whey (optional)
- Cut 2 beetroots into thin slices
- Put into a wide mouth jar.
- Fill with filtered water and ½ tablespoon salt
- You can also add 1/2 a cup of whey if you like, but it will ferment without this inocculation
- Leave on counter for 2-3 days to ferment you will see white bubbles forming on top
- Place in fridge
- Drink the liquid, each time you take some, top up the jar with filtered water
- Once you see that the beetroots are losing their colour they are ‘spent’ throw them out and start a new batch.
A great replacement for fizzy drinks.
- 1/4 of a large glass of organic, ripe fruit eg. raspberries, blackberries, peaches, strawberries, mango, apples
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Piece fresh ginger
- Filtered water
- Put all ingredients into a wide-mouth jar
- Fill jar with water, leaving about an inch at the top
- Tightly close the jar
- Leave at room temperature for 2-3 days (time will depend on your environment.
- Shake the jar twice a day
- Taste the liquid to see how it is doing, it should taste fizzy, sweet and tangy.
- Strain the fruit
- Drink as is or will last for a week in the fridge
- It is suitable for children as the alcohol content is very low about 0.05-1%
This recipe is taken from Green Kitchen Stories: http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/fermented-fruit-kvass/